It’s been a good winter here in Lakewood, Colorado, and you think about how you can save energy on your furnace, it may be difficult. Lakewood Plumbing and Heating has a few tips to save energy on your furnace this winter.
Being able to heat your home is essential during the colder months. On average, a space-heating system uses from 40% to 60% of your home’s energy depending on the type of system and choosing the right system and using it efficiently will save you wasting energy and money.
ENERGY STAR designated heating and cooling equipment, when properly designed and installed, can save consumers from 15 percent or more on heating and cooling bills each year, depending on where you live, and how much you pay for your energy source. Either way, energy savings, will often pay for themselves over the life of the equipment.
8 Ways to Save Energy on Your Furnace
- Before each heating season, have your furnace serviced by a qualified technician. Keeping your filters and ducts clean and free of dirt and debris will help your furnace run more efficiently, resulting in cost-savings on your energy bill. An annual tune-up could save you three to 10 percent in heating costs each month.
- Clean warm-air registers, baseboard heaters, and radiators as needed; make sure they’re not blocked by furniture, carpeting, or drapes.
- Ensure your home is properly insulated. A properly insulated home will keep the temperature in your home regulated.
- Check your windows and doors. Up to 30 percent of the heating in your home can be lost through poorly fitted windows and doors.
- Set your thermostat to as low a temperature as is comfortable in the winter. If you are cold, try putting on a sweater.
- During the winter, keep the draperies and shades on your south-facing windows open during the day to allow the sunlight to enter your home and closed at night to reduce the chill you may feel from cold windows.
- Install a programmable thermostat on your furnace to automatically adjust the temperature setting. Lowering your thermostat by 1 degree during the winter months can save as much as 3% of the energy your furnace uses.
- Lower it at night and when you go to work.
Become fully aware of the different heating options open to you and how to use them efficiently. Doing so will help to lower your energy bill and help the environment!