A summer in Lakewood, Colorado can get really hot. When you do not prep your home for a hot Colorado summer then you may be in need of a new air conditioner. At Lakewood Plumbing & Heating we specialize in repair air conditioners and installing a new air conditioner. We have laid out a few signs that you may need a new air conditioner.
Signs you need a new air conditioner
A new air conditioner in Golden and Wheat Ridge, Colorado is typically a substantial investment. However, the investment in your home comfort is a key factor in your well being and comfort over the summer. Once you do purchase a new AC you will want to maintain your AC unit on a semi-annual basis, which will not only keep your warranty valid but will also increase the longevity of your AC.
6 signs it’s time to replace your air conditioner
1. An air conditioner is more than 10 years old. In general, you can expect a well-maintained air conditioner to last about 15 years. However, if you’re in need of expensive repairs and your air conditioner is more than 10 years old, it will often make more sense to replace it. This is especially true when you consider the advancements in efficiency we’ve seen with air conditioners in the past decade alone.
2. Air conditioner is inefficient. If your air conditioner has a low SEER rating, it can cost you a lot of money to operate it. Currently, newly manufactured air conditioners must have a SEER rating of at least 13. If your air conditioner’s SEER rating is below 13, you can cut back on your energy costs by replacing it with a new, more efficient unit.
3. You’re facing expensive repairs. Any time you’re facing an expensive repair, you’ll want to weigh the costs of the repair against the costs of a new unit. If the cost of the repair would cover a large part of a new system, and especially if your air conditioner is showing any of the other signs in this list, it will likely make more financial sense to replace it.
4. Frequent breakdowns. Does it seem like your air conditioner is constantly breaking down? Are you calling Lakewood Plumbing & Heating every month because of a new problem with your unit? These repair costs can really add up, and it doesn’t make sense to keep making them on older units. Save yourself the headaches and the money by investing in a new unit.
5. Air conditioner uses R 22 Freon. Freon is being phased out by the federal government in order to conserve energy nationwide. As a result, the costs of Freon are rising exponentially. If your air conditioner uses Freon, you’ll have to replace it eventually in order to switch over to the new refrigerant (R410A). If you’re having major problems with your air conditioner, especially if they involve the need for more Freon, it’s probably a good time to replace your unit.
6. Your home isn’t comfortable. Do you have a hard time keeping your home cool? This could be the sign of an aging air conditioner or even an incorrectly sized system. Regardless of the cause, you want your air conditioner to do its job! If it’s not going to keep your home cool, you’ll want to replace it with a unit that will.
If you have any questions about when to replace your air conditioner, or if you’d like a cooling system serviced or installed in your home, contact Lakewood Plumbing & Heating air conditioner installation and repair company.[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]